Physiotherapy is a popular treatment that benefits your movement and overall physical health. But did you know that it is effective in improving your mental health too? It makes sense when individuals feel better as their physical fitness gets better. Greenfield physiotherapy includes pain management, exercising, rehabilitation, and other useful measures that are intended to enhance your strength and mobility while reducing pain. So, how does physiotherapy benefit your mental health? Find out below:
Improves Strength and Reduces Anxiety:
As stated earlier, physiotherapy involves exercising. Now this doesn’t mean doing one of those energy-intensive workouts that challenge your limits. Instead, a physiotherapy session includes a specific set of exercises that help you to be more active overall.
Physical fitness and mental health go hand in hand with one another. In fact, the level of physical fitness is directly proportional to your mental health. Regular exercises are proven to reduce depression and anxiety in people. Exercising provides a number of benefits including the following:
- Better Mood – When exercising, your brain releases feel-good hormones known as oxytocin, which helps reduce stress and improve your mood.
- Improved Endurance – By strengthening your lungs and heart, exercises can build stamina and endurance.
- Good Sleep Quality – Research suggests that exercise can improve sleep quality and duration for people of all ages.
- Healthy Weight Loss – Exercise programmes offered by physiotherapists facilitate weight control and weight reduction.
- Reduced Stress – By improving strength and rectifying muscle imbalance, physiotherapy at a sports injury clinic lets you manage stress.
Relief From Pain:
The underlying purpose of physiotherapy is to reduce pain that an individual endures. Chronic pain adversely impacts one’s mental health and could possibly lead to mental illness as well. When pain persists for a while, it could even contribute to depression in certain individuals. To combat mental illness, pain must be reduced and that’s exactly what physiotherapy is for.
When patients realise that their pain has lessened, it correspondingly decreases their symptoms of depression and other mental health problems. By boosting your immune system, exercising can make your body strong enough to resist pain and illnesses in the future.
Gives Individuals Hope:
A qualified sports injury doctor can offer an effective treatment that gives people the hope that they will feel better eventually. With reduced pain, increase in energy, and better mobility, it is certain that your mental health will be improved by many folds. It reassures individuals when they know that physiotherapy will create positive changes in their lives. This sense of hope and optimism definitely contributes to a better state of mind. Talk to a qualified physiotherapist, if you are aiming to improve your physical and mental health. After your consultation, the Greenfield physiotherapy experts can provide the most effective treatment program that works for you.